Monday, October 13, 2008

Introduction

I live and farm in north central Kansas with my father and grandfather. I have been married for 15 years to a very understanding wife and we have 3 young children ages 3,4, and 5.

I am using this post as a brief introduction and my blog will be an online journal.
I have been wanting to keep an online journal of sorts and with positive reports of the wheat display in New York City has prompted me to follow through with it. I want to keep this as informative to the general public as possible without a lot of technical jargon.

Besides posts as journals I will also have at least one that is a glossary of words and phrases. Their will also be posts about the specific crops and differences in them, such as field corn, sweet corn, and popcorn.


I will try to answer questions the best that I can, or direct the question to a person that can explain it better than I can. I'm constantly learning more and wanting to learn more and some times an outsider asking why might be the catalyst to a change.

1 comment:

EmilyZielke said...

Hello Farmer Tom!
I was wondering if you got my reply to your question? I read your blog and am wondering a few things about farming in Kansas...what does your grandfather think of the state of farming today? Has he said much about changes in the crops/the soil? I know Iowa has lost several feet of topsoil due to monocultured farming...is Kansas the same? Do you rent your farmland from someone else or do you own it? Do your families eat food from the farm or primarily from grocery stores?

Thanks for reading!
Emily